Friday, October 26, 2007

Are you Leftist or Rightist? In front or at the back?

The title sounds political. Not really. It just wants to ask you which part of your brain is stronger- left or right? front or back? Following is a test on "How You Learn" which was asked of us during my seminar at Museo Pambata. So pick up a pencil and paper and try learning about how you learn.

DIRECTION: Check the statements which describe things that you do not have to make an effort on. When you have completed all the questions, count up the number of checks in each section. The section with the highest number of checks is the section of your brain you most usually use.

LEFT FRONTAL
___ I prefer to have the final say in family money matters.
___ I am logical and tend to think in straight lines.
___ I love machines and enjoy using tools.
___ I like delegating and giving orders.
___ I like to be able to measure success objectively- it is not enought just to be happy about what I'm doing.
___ I feel comfortable working with figures.
___ I enjoy verbal arguments. I like to get my ideas across.
___ I tend to take responsibility for big decisions.
___ I am good at technology.
___ I value effectiveness in other people.
___ People often look to me for leadership.
___If there is a problem, I can see usually what is causing it and come up with an answer.
___ I am good at managing money.
___ I enjoy doing things for myself.
___ I believe thinking is more important than feeling.

RIGHT FRONTAL
___ I use a lot of hand gestures when I talk.
___ I like to work on several things at once.
___ I often come up with new inventions.
___ I often rely on hunches to solve problems.
___ I get some of my best ideas when I am not thinking about anything in particular.
___ I am very energetic.
___ I am artistic.
___ I like to use metaphors and visual analysis to explain and understand things.
___ I get escited by off-the-wall ideas.
___ I always 'file' things in stacks rather than in cabinets.
___ I tend to be more interested in the 'big picture' rather than the details.
___ I can always see in my mind's eye how to arrange furniture in a room, or pack a car boot in order to get everything in.
___ I have a sense of humor, which has at times got me into trouble.
___ I am good at ball and computer video games.
___ I loathe routine tasks.

LEFT BASIL
___ I don't like to have my routine disturbed.
___ I find filing, sorting and labelling relaxing.
___ I am uneasy with ambiguity and uncertainty.
___ I think rules are important and should be adhered to.
___ I always read the instruction leaflet before I use a new appliance.
___ If I have to do something tricky, I am happiest if I have an established protocol to follow.
___ I put my social commitments in my diary- and stick to them.
___ I have a place for everything and everything is in its place.
___ I think people should keep their emotions under control.
___ I am reliable and loyal.
___ I enjoy doing repetitive task accurately.
___ I always tackle tasks step by step.
___ I like working with details.
___ I uphold traditional values.
___ I am reliable and thorough in my work.

RIGHT BASIL
___ I think cooperation, not conflict, is the way to get things done.
___ I tend to reach out to comfort people.
___ I love to sing, dance and listen to music.
___ I think personal growth is something worth working at.
___ I think that feelings are more important than thoughts.
___ My family relationships are the most important things in my life.
___ I automatically watch people's faces when I am talking to them.
___ I know instinctively what people are thinking.
___ I feel uneasy when people start arguing around me.
___ I am good at making other people feel enthusiastic.
___ I think you can measure success by how happy you are feeling, rather than what you achieve.
___ I think spiritual values are more important than material things.
___ I often touch people spontaneously when I talk to them.
___ I am good at interpreting body language.
___ I cry easily at sloppy films.

INTERPRETATION:
The Left Frontal brain is best for reasoning, logic and leadeship qualities. The Right Frontal brain deals with ideas and creative thinking. The left basil is used for organizing and maintaining routine. While the Right Basil deals with intuition and emotional feelings. How does these data relate to Learning. Here is their explanation:

UPPER LEFT
Learn by: Respond to:
- acquiring and quantifying facts - formalized lectures, factual content
- applying analysis and logic - financial and technical case discussions
- thinking through ideas, building cases - textbooks and bibliographies
- forming theories - program learning
- behavior modification

UPPER RIGHT
Learn by: Respond to:
- taking initiative - spontaneity
- exploring hidden possibilities - free flow, experiential opportunities
- relying on intuition, self-discovery - experimentation
- constructing concepts - playfulness
- synthesizing content - future-oriented case discussions
- visual displays
- individuality
- aesthetics
- being involved

LOWER LEFT
Learn by: Respond to:
- organizing and structuring content - thorough planning
- sequencing content - sequential order
- evaluating and testing theories - organizational and administration case
- acquiring skills through practice discussions
- implementing course content - test books behavior modification
- program learning
- structure
- lectures

LOWER RIGHT
Learn by: Respond to:
- listening and sharing ideas - experiential opportunities
- integrating experiences with self - sensory movement
- moving and feeling - music
- harmonizing with the content - people oriented case discussion
- emotion involvement - group interaction


So what are you- leftist or rightist? But any which way, I'm sure you know better now how you could learn better and how you could help others learn better.

No comments: